Wednesday, June 10, 2009

10




Kate turned 10 yesterday.

She started the day with her birthday breakfast:

Crepes made by Dad with fresh strawberries and chocolate syrup, on our Happy Birthday plate.

She took 3 dozen cookies to school. She requested sugar cookies with icing. Last month I tried four sugar cookie recipes to see if I could get one that was soft and chewy, with no crusty bits to it. Below is the winner.

Grandma and Grandpa Teeples and the Andersen's came for her birthday dinner and ice cream cake, presents and birthday fun.

It is hard to believe that she is 10. It seems like just the other day we were living in Springville and planning for her arrival. She is such a great kid and a huge blessing in my life.

Big Soft Sugar Cookies

cream:

1 c. butter


2 c. sugar



beat in:


4 eggs


2 T. milk


4 t. vanilla


2 tsp. lemon extract (this slight lemon flavor really sets these cookies apart.)



add:


4 t. baking powder


1/2 t. salt


5 cups flour



chill 30 minutes to an hour. form into balls then smash down with bottom of floured glass (about 1/4 inch thick, these cookies should be about the same thickness as those pink grandma sycamore's cookies and a little smaller in circumference.) bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes.



frosting:

1 stick butter

1 8 oz cream cheese

2 tsp vanilla

4 1/2 c powdered sugar

6 comments:

Marci and Morgan said...

No way. There is no way that Kate is 10(!!!) already! And thanks for the recipe- we will have to give that a try!

TT said...

Can't believe it! Makes me feel old. Happy Birthday, Kate. :-) Love ya!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one our age with a 10+ year old. Actually Rachel is 11 and going into 6th grade!!!!!! Crazy. The sad thing is, I think the last time I saw Kate, she was one or two. Is that right? I am going to be in CA this Friday and am trying to meet up with Amy, Erica and Tory. Is there any way you could come??? I know...a long shot. But we will really miss you! Let me know. Jen

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stacy said...

It does seem like just yesterday you were in springville awaiting her arrival..why don't you move back.. Also I think you would like awesome in a bubble skirt, I don't understand your hesistation.

Megan said...

I can't believe she's 10! We are so old :).