Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Tree Challenged

If there was a competition for most challenged Christmas tree decorator, I would probably win. Just ask my family.

Two years ago my mom told me my tree was pathetic (she was right). I didn't have enough decorations and I hadn't changed my theme in 7 years or so. Yes, my tree has a theme. At least the one that I decorate and let the kids put a few decorations on (but only ones that I have ok'd for it). I bought all new decorations for the tree last year and wasn't totally pleased with the outcome, so I bought some more this year. The kids have their own tree, that I try not to control, or change the ornament placement. It goes in their bathroom. 

I realize that I am controlling when it comes to the tree decorating (and many other things), that is why I can't figure out why I can't get it right. Really, I am challenged. 

I am actually considering buying a fake tree after Christmas (gasp). I am debating if a fake tree that already has the lights installed could compare to the real tree that I have to put the lights on . Every year this is a major struggle. The problem is I love real trees and a fake tree seems like a cop out.  We never had a fake tree growing up, NEVER. I like real trees inconsistencies, smell and overall look. But I can never get enough lights on them. I can guarantee that my mom will come over this year and tell me that my tree does not have enough lights. But how many wires can one tree stand, right? 

If anyone has some tips for lighting a real tree I would love to hear them. I am also missing an entire box of decorations for it...has anyone seen them?

(After reading this I realized that I am a pretty lucky girl if all I have to worry about today is what my tree looks like.) 

2 comments:

Marci and Morgan said...

Well of COURSE you're a lucky girl- but that is not the point- even lucky girls should get to LOVE the their Christmas tree. So as the resident tree lighting EXPERT (that's me) I will tell you my secret: plan on at LEAST 5-6 strands of lights. Start at the bottom of the tree (of course) and wind it around every branch to the tip, twist it back down the branch and go to the next. You should have lights on every branch when you are done. It takes time and patience- so make sure you have both. You will not be sorry- it will look beautiful- now get going!!

Stacy said...

I am a fake pre lit tree girl, and I tell you what, it is one of the best things I have ever done for myself.