Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Nerve Of Some People

Background: Maggie is the cart at Costco, playing with the keys (actually a play set of hers, but they are real keys), we are in the check out lane and this is the conversation I had with the lady behind me.

Random Lady: "I'm not trying to scare you, but I was watching a program the other night and there was a child who was running with keys, he fell down and one of them went through his skull and into his brain. There were x-rays and everything of it."

Me: "That is horrible."

Maggie is now out of the cart and still playing with the keys and we are about to pay and this is what I overhear. She obviously wanted me to hear what she was saying...

Random Lady, said to her date?: "I told her about that program with the keys in the kids head and there her kid is still playing with keys."

Random Man: "What did she say."

Random Lady: "She said that it was horrible."

Random Man:  "Oh"

Random Lady: "Well you know what Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Is she serious, come on. Should I  not let her eat because she might choke? She wasn't running through Costco, she was sitting in the cart and then hanging onto my leg with one hand with the keys in her other. And how many children have had keys go through their skulls? I am pretty sure the statistic is very low.

I had enough restraint to not say anything, but I didn't have very nice thoughts going through my head. 

7 comments:

noelle said...

ever since you called to tell me this, i have been pissed at this woman. i still don't know how you didn't say anything to her.

Marci and Morgan said...

Wow, I KNOW I wouldn't have had the nerve to say anything- but REALLY???? I can't believe that. There are actually about a thousand ways to get killed every second of every day- and she clearly wasn't thinking about that when she was completely rude to a perfect stranger- especially YOU!!! she has NO idea the bullet she dodged just because you were trying to behave yourself- and who really quotes Forrest Gump?? seriously?? That's amazing.

Amy said...

That is one of the funniest things that I have ever heard! People are always amazing. It never surpsises me what some people think if acceptable to say out loud!

Debbie said...

Maybe you should have reminded her how road rage works...or going postal for that matter. People have been smacked up-side the head for less. She should take her own advise: Stupid is as stupid does and keep her stupid mouth SHUT! Can't stand when people don't know boundries.

Stacy said...

Who can argue with Forest Gump?

Amy said...

I don't know why but that just made me laugh out loud. I am having the mental image of you fuming mad at the lady but not saying anything. Now FYI, don't let Maggie put plastic bags on her head either, she could suffocate. I saw a show on that once...

lori said...

You should have just ripped one right in her personal space. As far as the Christmas tree goes, do not, I repeat DO NOT send yourself or your mom to My house to see my tree. Actually, I will show you a pic and then you will feel better about anything you do. I had never heard so many jokes about Christmas BALLS in my life..thanks to Matt. I have the Christmas tree dilemma too..as far as real or fake goes...we spent a whopping $100 on our real tree this year and I kind of wish I would have spent that on gifts. Good luck.