Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Boys Boys Boys













Kate and her cousin Cami (Jen's youngest daughter)

So this morning Kate came into our room while still buttoning her shirt and I glimpsed a folded piece of paper in her pocket. I asked her what it was and she told me it was a note to her friend. I asked her if it was to a boy and she told me no. My kids are not good liars, so i kind of laughed and asked her again who it was for. She promptly named one of her girl friends at school and not being very sly she quickly walked out of my room. I followed her and when I went into her room she was in the corner taking the note out of her pocket and putting it in her purse. I went up behind her and wrestled it out of her hand and while doing so she says, "Okay Mom, it's for a boy." Shocking. So I took the note and read it. It went something like this. Aidan, I am sorry but I am not sure if I like you. I still like Cade. How many boys do you hang out with? It was actually very cute. She was embarrassed, but not too embarrassed to tell me that they write notes back and forth almost every day, he asked her if she wanted to be his girlfriend and that was her response. I told her that she could tell me those things because I was in third grade once and I used to like boys when I was her age. She said to me, "Why didn't you tell me that, I could have told you about it then."

She is only 8 and in third grade and the boy thing is starting already. It kind of makes me nervous. And it makes Matt squirm with anxiety.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Amber- You will be glad to know Cade has no idea he is Kate's boyfriend. We asked him about it last week and he said, "Why would I like Kate, she always teases me and laughs when I'm not even doing anything funny! I don't know why she always laughs and makes weird faces at me." Hopefully that's true and I have a few more years before he figures out that means the girl likes him! I'm so not ready for that.

noelle said...

i laughed the entire time reading this post.

Amber said...

Cade is the best type of imagined boyfriend to have. They never see eachother and I know his mom. What more could I ask for.

Stacy said...

You only liked boys in third grade, not anymore, poor Matt.

Amber said...

stacy, it depends on the day.

lori said...

First of all she has a PURSE???!! What? She must be a girly girl. My girls will probably do the same thing since they watch all that Prince/princess fairytale crap. Cade is simply her Prince!