Monday, May 11, 2009

Self Torture

We are in for a tough week. 

Early this morning (1:30 am) after Maggie woke me up because she couldn't find her second "ba bu" (that is what she calls her pacifier), I decided that it is time to get rid of them. She routinely wakes us up in the middle of the night because it has fallen off of her bed, she just can't see it, or it is hiding somewhere in her covers. She has to have two at all sleeping moments. One for her mouth and the other to rub over her face to get herself to go to sleep. In some ways the pacifier is great. She still takes naps and she doesn't fight us to go to bed. But I have to say the drawbacks are starting to outweigh the benefits of the ba bu. I am getting too round to be crawling into her bed at all hours of the night, over the guard rail and sticking my hand down the side of the bed to find one of the blasted things. Or crawling underneath the bed. I'm so glad no one is watching me do this. I am sure it is not pretty. 

So the ba bu fairy is coming tonight. Her pacifiers are all packed up in a plastic baggie to go under her pillow at bedtime and the ba bu fairy will be replacing them with something else. I haven't figured out what yet. I am sure that nothing will do the trick, but at least I can try.

We had a failed attempt at a nap this afternoon without the pacifiers. I took the picture above after I had listened to her cry for a bit and finally told her she could get up. I even took her swimming this morning to see if I could wear her out enough to go to sleep without them.
 
Any suggestions?

5 comments:

noelle said...

I'm very interested in how this all turns out as I will be doing this very thing in a few months. I once heard of the "binkie fairy" where you hang each binkie on at the end of a ribbon and over tree branches and then tie little gifts to the end of each ribbon in their place. It's a lot more work but it sounded pretty.

heidizinha said...

the binkie fairy came to our house a few months ago, and i thought for sure everything was going to be harder than it turned out to be. the binkie fairy brought princess shoes and a tinkerbell blanket and mae was told her binkies were going to babies who needed them. that turned out to be a great strategy because mae found binkies around after and she gave them to some of our friends kids (who threw them away, of course).

however, mae does not nap well anymore. there are times when she will, but for the most part she won't. she ends up going to bed earlier...but i won't say it isn't a struggle sometimes. sometimes i wish i still had the binkie, but i know it was more for my convenience...she didn't really NEED it.

good luck!

Bridget said...

Sounds rough. I have no experience and therefore no suggestions. But the binky fairy sounds awesome!

Sonia said...

Let me know how this went. Jurnee still uses one for naps and night time too. It's great because when she wakes up she just puts in on her dresser until later. It's not great however, because we have tried many things to get rid of them. All to no avail. We've talked about them going to the Garbage man (she loves him) and she has thrown all but 1 in the trash . . . I have a brand new nephew that she was going to send it too. She even decorated an envelope to send it to Baby Dylan, but when it was time for her nap, she ripped it out of the envelope. We've tried the fairy . . . nothing is working.

The boys were much easier than this. Though I want it gone, I still want her to nap and go to sleep at night. I need by sleep and in the past she just screams all night long when we've tried to get rid of it . . .

SO- GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW ITS GOING!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Toryen used to SCREAM for one for hours and finally I couldn't stand it anymore. I got all his passies and cut the top off and gave them back to him. it took him putting everyone in his mouth at least 3 times and then he didn't want then anymore. He only asked for one the next day, I gave him a cut one and he throw it (literally) and never asked for another one. I was very blessed that it was that easy but it could work agian for you! Good luck!