Friday, July 17, 2009

Pregnancy Humor?

If you know me at all you know I am not a small pregnant person. Yes, of course I am still short, 5'3" on a really good day with great shoes, but I get round, very round while pregnant. Which I am sure makes me look even shorter. Why do people have to comment? What is it about an obviously pregnant person that makes people want to pipe up and say something?


My favorite comment from this pregnancy...it was two weeks ago. 6 weeks before my due date:
"When are you due?" some stranger asks.
"The middle of August," I respond
"Oh, I thought you were going to say, any day now," she pipes back.

Really did she have to add that? I had to laugh. Some people really don't think before they speak...and I am often one of them. So I have to have some understanding.

I now tell people any day. I figure if I don't know them, what does it matter what I tell them.

This is the best story though and it happened with my last pregnancy. I was on the elevator going up to my dr. appointment and there was an Asian lady on it with me.

Now you have to read this with an asian accent.

her, looking cross eyed at my belly: Oh, when you due...
me: Three weeks...
her: Oh, you very big...
me: well yes, this is my third baby and I think I am a bit bigger than with the first two...
her: oh, maybe you eat too much this time...

It is not as if I am blind to the fact that my stomach sticks out really far. I realize I am not a petite little pregnant person. And it is okay with me. I'm pregnant, there is a baby in there and where else is he supposed to go but out. People are funny.

3 comments:

TT said...

Gotta love those nice comments... Seriously.

Laura said...

That was funny. I have a friend that is prego and she ran into a lady she hadn't seen in a while, (the lady didn't know she was preg)
The lady looks down at my friends little pooch and said "what are you doing to your body"? Luckly my friend is very understanding too.

Marchelle said...

That is funny and yes, I am invading without being invited. I think that you look wonderful!! I am totally jealous!